Over 400 North Carolina Auctions End Tomorrow 02/01 - Bid Now
Over 450 Total Lots Up For Auction at Four Locations - NY 02/02, UT 02/03, TX 02/10, Ontario 02/14

MR scanner falls from Utah hospital killing contracted mover

by Gus Iversen, Editor in Chief | September 15, 2021
University of Utah Hospital
An MR scanner at University of Utah Hospital was being transported when it fell from the fourth floor to the ground level, killing one of the workers involved in the relocation project.

A second victim sustained minor injuries in the accident.

"From myself and our team, our hearts, our prayers, our tears are with the family that has been impacted by this event," said Alison Flynn Gaffney, executive director of the hospital systems planning and service lines, according to NBC affiliate in Salt Lake City, KSL News. "We are sorry that this had happened today"

United Imaging: New 80-slice CT in 2 weeks w/Software Upgrades for Life

For those who need to move fast and expand clinical capabilities -- and would love new equipment -- the uCT 550 Advance offers a new fully configured 80-slice CT in up to 2 weeks with routine maintenance and parts and Software Upgrades for Life™ included.

The local news outlet reported that officials said the accident happened at a loading dock just north of the School of Medicine around 11am Although few specific details have been made public, an investigation is ongoing.

Gaffney said the average MR weighs 20,000 pounds. Moving the machine, Gaffney said, was an “outside event,” involving “infrastructure and scaffolding” and “multiple safety components," according to ABC4. She added that it is unclear what caused the deadly incident.

"This was meant to be a milestone occasion for our team, and something that has been in the works for several years ... We will work [with] all parties involved to understand what happened and identify the root cause, but our immediate concern is supporting all those affected," Gaffney said.

A Salt Lake City Fire Department hazmat crew responded to the scene but had cleared the area by about 2pm, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. The Utah Occupational Safety and Health Division is investigating, an official with the Utah Labor Commission said.

Additional details about either victim were not immediately released.

You Must Be Logged In To Post A Comment